“It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, and a lifetime to forget them.” – Anonymous
As human beings we are wired to respond to attraction and ultimately love. We are made up of hormones which are triggered by various feel-good factors, such as attraction, touch, feelings and intimacy. These hormones are now known as “cuddle hormones” and they play a major part in the relationship, particularly when we are no longer seeing the person through rose-tinted glasses.
We all will make this journey at different stages in our lives. We have no assurances or predicted outcomes YET we make the journey anyway. To me this journey is a little like a minefield, and even with the best of intentions, things will go wrong and ultimately we step on one or two mines. However, I have found that stepping on mines clears the air and balances everything – at least until the next time.
To help you navigate this rollercoaster of love, try the following:
• Communicate – get this right from day one, and make it the cornerstone of your relationship. Good communication skills are a must in every relationship.
• Negotiation – this is a life skill, and will make your relationship a lot smoother in the long run.
• Compromise – remember, you do not give in if you compromise, you simply hear what your partner is saying, and respect them enough to listen to their point of view.
• Forgive and forget – no-one is perfect and forgiving someone allows you to move on.
• Compliments – this should be done daily; it’s the kind word that can make all the difference to your partner’s day, and will also make you feel special.
• Quality time – this time spent together strengthens your love and helps your relationship to grow.
• Being there – always be there for each other – life can throw out some kerb balls which are easier to catch with two pairs of hands.
• Honesty and Respect – also life skills, but particularly valuable in the relationship between two people.
Lastly is commitment, which puts love in a very special place. Commitment gives you hope and belief that your love for each other will stand the test of time, and when you look back over the years you may come to the conclusion that love based on commitment was always enough.