Love Symbolism Of Flowers
Image courtesy of Pixabay
I love flowers and I appreciate being given a bunch of flowers. I have never analysed the meaning or symbolism of specific flowers but the more I read about this topic the more confused I get. In the end I decided not to worry about what a particular flower might symbolise and just enjoy
Various sources suggest different meanings for particular flowers and the meanings can vary between cultures. I think it would be unwise to read too deeply into the meaning of a gift of a particular type of flowers as the person giving them -
Okay, so what can some flowers symbolise in terms of love?
- generally accepted as a symbol of love and desire
- love at first sight. Some sources say lavender roses are a symbol of romantic intent.
- friendship, joy. Some sources say platonic love and definitely not romantic love. Another source said a yellow rose symbolises jealousy.
- purity. Another source said 'happy love'. In Victorian times a bunch of white roses symbolised the beginning of courtship.
- desire and enthusiasm
- true love, symbol of marriage
- declaration of love
- eternal love
- love and passion. (The plant is claimed to have aphrodisiac qualities.)
- deep love
- never ending devotion
- regret that the person giving them does not return the love felt by the recipient.
An attractive variegated carnation but give someone a bunch of these and the recipient could think you dont love them Image courtesy of Pixabay
However, I read traditionally carnations are considered to be 'the flowers of the dead' in Mexico because carnations were often piled around a body while it was being prepared for burial. In France purple carnations are often used as a flower at funerals.
Many different meanings are given to different flowers depending on what book you read or what website you research.
of flowers is also said to have a meaning. One website gave the following information -
I wonder where the various meanings for different flowers originated and why. I just like most flowers and although I find the idea of symbols interesting, it's not something I am going to read into if I am given flowers as a gift.
254564 - 2023-07-19 08:00:20